Tethys Himalayan Adventure - Spiti, Takling La
Cycle to Spiti, Trek Takling La to Tsomoriri
We start by taking you out of the sweltering plains of India and transfer you to Tattapani on the banks of the Sutlej river. From here, we’ll have a few up and down days as we make our way to Kalpa Valley in Kinnaur which is well-known for its apples and pine nuts (Chilgozas, a rare dry fruit). From Kalpa the journey we’ll make our way over some beautiful winding road sections that will finally take you to the more arid landscape of Spiti, through Nako-Sumdo-Tabo before reaching Kaza, the commercial centre of Spiti. This particular section of our journey falls on the ancient Silk Route and is also called the Hind-Tibet road as it has been used for centuries by the people of these regions for trade and cultural exchanges.
Following some paperwork in Kaza, an optional day of cycling will take us to Losar. We’ll rest and get ready for the trekking part of our journey in the homely comforts of Spiti and also visit some local sights and experiences that it has to offer, like Key Monastery and Chandra Tal among others.
The 8-day trek connecting Spiti to Ladakh can either be done over better known Parang La trail or over another lesser known and tread upon pass, Takling La. Keeping up with our spirit to go off the mainstream at Nomadic Trails – India, we will be using the forgotten trail of Takling La to take you to Tsomoriri. The climb to the pass will involve some steep and tough ascents to the top over loose scree and moraine in some sections before it eases out. Once we enter the river valley after the pass the trail flattens. Our trekking staff of guides, cooks and helpers along with some pack animals will accompany the group.
On this trek, not only is there the novelty of going over a new, unique and untouched route but, you’ll also be camping at some of the world’s best high-altitude wetlands. Experience thrilling river crossings as the trek culminates with breathtaking views of the Tsomoriri. Don’t be surprised if you sight blue sheep, Himalayan red fox, Marmots or even the Himalayan Ibex! Although the region we’re crossing is also a known habitat for snow leopards, this elusive cat is rarely seen.
While before the trek you got an insight into Spiti. The morning after the trek ends, we’ll take you to Leh over a slightly longer but scenic route that will allow you to visit Tso Kar and cross one of the highest roads at Tanglang La. Last but not the least we have a day of sight-seeing around Leh to make sure you go back with a lifetime of memories and experiences.
Sign up for this for a real feeling of accomplishment and a Complete Himalayan experience!
- Accommodation and meals as per the itinerary.
- Drinking water throughout the trip.
- Beverages and snacks.
- Refreshments, hydration and lunches during cycling.
- Camping gear and equipment (Group and personal).
- Technical back up and support for cycling.
- Cycle rental.
- Porters/Mules to carry ration, equipment, gear & personal luggage on trek.
- Experienced English-speaking guide.
- First aid including oxygen cylinders.
- All transfers from Shimla to Leh.
- Travel and accident insurance.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Lunches during road/highway journeys on non-cycling days.
- Any extra snacks and beverages.
- Additional customisations or excursions outside the itinerary.
- Packaged drinking water – option available only for the non-trekking part of the itinerary.